Favorite Reporter

Favorite Reporter

Thursday, February 23, 2023

LSG! LSG! And what I want to be when I grow up.

 

LSG! LSG! LSG!

A bit sleep deprived this week watching my friends Laurie St-Georges and team kicking some butt at the Scotties this week. Watched her shoot the lights out tonight against BC, after watching her shoot the lights out last night against Lawes. And it looks like her game against NS tomorrow night will again force me to stay too late at a curling club after my Thursday night game to watch.

I am usually a big Russ Howard fan – but he keeps talking about how Laurie is such an underdog since her team has only played 4 spiels this year. Yes that is true, but Laurie eats, sleeps, drinks and poops curling. She practices more than anyone I know and she plays a ton of mixed doubles. Oh, and she won the Canadian Mixed this year (with Emily of course, who also plays Mixed Doubles). I saw her team playing in a number of spiels, and often with their 5th as a couple of them are busy with school or work.  This is a very good curling team, and Laurie plays the game with no fear and a big smile.

I am hoping they keep this run going! 

 

 ***

 

When I grow up…I want to be Krista McCarville

I am getting a bit tired of the Curling Canada Foundation commercial with all the goofy kids saying what they want to be when they grow up…with the girl who wants to be scientist while holding a pebble hose. (Bad start!). This commercial has been on for so long I feel like even the kid who didn’t know what he wanted to be probably has a job by now.



But following this theme – I wanted to add my voice to this cheesy commercial:  When I grow up, I want to be Krista McCarville.

Okay I am already grown up, so its too late for me. But if you are a young curler looking for a role model – I hope you are watching this team.

They are unlike the other top teams. Most top teams follow the same formula: try to play well enough to get into the slams - play a million tournaments to get better 

The challenge with the Olympic movement is that we have created a generation of curlers who are aspiring to be professional curlers, and nothing else. I have to say, when I was a young curler decades ago, that was not an option. The best curlers and role models that I knew had day jobs; they curled for fun, mostly on weekdays and weeknights.

Today, aspiring young curlers look at the Slams. This is a series of 6 big cash tournaments for the top 15 teams in the world. If you play in these, you need multiple weeks off work (as these tournaments run all week). This is not conducive to having a career. So the model for a young curler looking to grow up to be a champion, the model is to go all in.

But here is an alternate model for success: Krista McCarville. They are the Oakland A’s in Moneyball. Except instead of having less money than the other teams like the A’s, they have less time.

They achieve an incredibly high level of play while having lives. This team has been close to winning the Scotties multiple times (she has lost 2 finals), and was final 3 to represent Canada in the Olympics last Olympic Trials. This is undisputedly one of the top 5 teams in Canada.

So how do they do this? How do they manage to compete with the best women’s teams in the world while actually having families, jobs and lives?

Well, they practice. A lot.

And they have some pretty good coaching, from no less than my childhood hero and the guy whose slide my random Quebec toe-tuck is modeled after: Rick Lang.

They shun the Slams. They play only small schedule. They come into this event with hardly any CTRS points, ranked 15th out of 18.

But they currently sit at 6-1, and are looking likely to be in the mix again this year.

I hope young teams that are asking themselves if this is a model they can emulate to be good at curling. Maybe there is another path to curling success. You can compete against the pro teams. 

Now if we can just get the commentators to stop talking about how their reduced schedule kills their chance of winning.

4 comments:

  1. One point about Laurie that nobody discusses is that the spiels they played in were selected because they were on arena ice and against teams that were mostly men. From season start, they knew they could get practice time on club ice anytime they wanted, so bonspiels were not high on their schedule. Based on performance this week, it looks to me like arena ice and tough competition is a pretty good practice strategy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was so impressed with last night's game, I'm watching it again this morning. :) I tend to believe that the curlers who play in the mixed doubles have an edge on those who don't because the mixed doubles requires more 4 foot play and the necessity to make some amazing finess shots.
    While I'm not a fan of McCarville as a person - simply because she's not very personable, almost robotic at times, but one has to admit that their method of achieving results is definitely working for them. Could we have a Laurie St-Georges/McCarville final? Wouldn't that be entertaining! I suspect Einarson will be there...not so sure who the other team will be.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. May I interject and mentioned that Krista is a wonderful person and incredibly kind consistently? Television certainly does not tell the story of who athletes are. It's a very high pressure environment that captures many individual moments, but not the full story. I implore you to give your opinion on a person a second thought prior to public judgement in the future. Sincerely, another curler.

      Delete
    2. Well said Colin. The amount of curler in the circuit that never are invited to the Slams are amazing curlers. And it is free to go and watch them.

      Delete